Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My first 6 weeks

So I've settled in to my new life here in Eindhoven in the Netherlands!

It's been a busy 6 weeks, getting used to culture, the work, the language (!) and the travel! I'm trying to see as much in the year that I've been contracted to work here.

So here's a quick brief of what I've done so far:

Catching up with long lost family! I last met my mum's family when i was 5... obviously I can't remember much. So it was fantastic to meet my Uncle, Aunt and little cousin. I spent a weekend with them in Brussels (a beautiful city!) and also I spent a fantastic 4 days with them in Paris seeing the sights.

I also managed to catch up with a cousin in Utrecht (Another beautiful city in Holland) I learnt how to say gracht (not easy!) I ate harring (one bite - sorry but it was disgusting!) And I saw the coolest busker ever! This video does not do him justice. It was an amazing atmosphere, as everyone just stopped what they were doing to watch him

I caught up with Bridget (former tasmanian engineer - now professional jet setting traveller). We saw the sights in Amsterdam and got to celebrate Sinterklas (Dutch Saint Nicholas) with waffels, olie bollen and speculas! We managed to fit in a trip to Antwerp as well, where we had for some fine Belgian beers.

I then met up with Anissa and Dave (engineers and newly weds from port pirie!) in Cologne. The Dom, Christmas Markets, Gluwein, Rhiebukchen and the Beer Halls were all highlights - must go back soon!

For New Year's I went back to Paris to catch up with Fadwa. Fadwa is a good friend from Port Pirie - well actually from Morocco/France, but she did a 6 month internship at Nyrstar in Port Pirie. She's now working in France and we had a great time catching up, travelling around with her friend Vincent, visiting old castles in Tours.

The weekends are going very fast, but I feel very lucky to be travelling and seeing these amazing places! I'd love to write more about each place, but unfortunately I'm too tired - I will try and be more descriptive in the future!

6 comments:

John Dekker said...

Great to hear all this!

My Dad was born in Eindhoven, my Mum was born in Utrecht.

How long will you be living in Eindhoven? Have you found a church to go to?

Bridget said...

Woot, you've started the blog!

It appears that you may give me a run for the 'professional traveler' stakes by the end of the year if you keep these weekend adventures up!

Oh, i met a girl from Eindhoven in Goa! small world!

Jono said...

Hey John, I'm here for a year...at least ;) I haven't had a lot of opportunity to settle into a church - i've been away most weekends... But I went to a very welcoming one this weekend, so i'll go back and see how it goes.

Jessica Martiele said...

I just stumbled onto your blog, and it's fascinating; my husband was in Amsterdam for 4 weeks last year on business, and it was wonderful to see photos of the things he didn't have time to take pictures of. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, and if you don't mind, I'll plan to check back occasionally to see what more you might have to share. Cheers!

Jono said...

Hey Jess. Thanks for commenting. Yeah, please feel free to check up on what i've been doing! :)

Jono said...
This comment has been removed by the author.