Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Ik ben Zwarte Piet!

Yesterday I got to take part in a crazy dutch tradition - dressing up as Zwarte Piet (Black Peter) and giving candy to lots of children! It was so much fun!



Sinterklas is the Dutch Santa Clause, only 100 times better and the Zwarte Piet are his helpers. Everyone in Holland gets into it and lots of the kids really believe the story. So my boss (Martin) invited me to help out at his son's soccer practise by surprising the kids with a little visit


Martin's son is the boy on the right in the picture below - he's just like his Dad! Really cute kid!



Another nice part about it was the fact that when I was young we also celebrated Sinterklas. Good memories!

2 comments:

Calli Strawberry Jam said...

I'm hoping that these kids will have good memories of the Zwarte Piet who came to visit although personally I find you a little scary - Amsterdam Zwarte Piets are usually smaller and tubbier, kinda like little elves. We're sinterklaasing on the 5th when we get back, shame you won't be around for the presents! Happy travels and enjoy Oz.
Cxx

sandy pants said...

Hi, I am a reporter with Minnesota Public Radio in St. Paul, MN USA. I am working on a story about Zwarte Piet and would love to talk with someone who actually played Piet. When you get a chance, could you please send me an e-mail at stotten-at-mpr-dot-org?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you.